Monday, February 25, 2013

Nicknaming, Pinoy style

Twit-Twit and Joy-Joy, two precious girls in my neighborhood
with very Filipino nicknames.

Fa-THER, Bro-THER, Fa-THER, ‘THER, ‘THER, ‘THER.  A strange sound, no? But “Ther” is all I hear these days. “Ther” this and “Ther” that. All the boys at my orphanage use this nickname to call the attention of the Catholic priests in charge. I found this nicknaming so interesting that I wrote a song about it (well, to be precise, it’s a parody of The Cranberries, “Zombie”).


The Philippines is dominated by nicknames, so much so, that one day, months after knowing someone, you’re asked what their full name is and you’re completely stumped. Well, I only know her by “A.A.” so maybe Angelica Anne? I used to encode family profiles at my organization and I loved seeing the full names and nick names side by side. Erik would become “Rek-rek,” Justin would become “Tin-tin” and so on and so on.

In my first six months in the Philippines, I quickly discovered the prevalence of nicknames, especially those that encompassed a repetition of syllables (“Moy-moy”, “Joy-joy”, “Twit-twit”…I’m not making these up). Lately though, I’ve recognized a new phenomenon in nick-naming. That from which “Ther” stems…taking just the last syllable of a person’s name. Halimbawa (example):

Full name                                          Nickname
Christopher                  ->                  ‘fur
Raymond                      ->                  ‘mund
Robert                          ->                  ‘burt

Remarkable! Right? It’s just so interesting to me since in the U.S. we would naturally abbreviate those common names with Chris, Ray, or Rob.

This trend also appears in the local language where full words are abbreviated with just the last syllable. Example:

Manong          ->        ‘nong                           (Older brother)
Dodong         ->         ‘dong                          (Younger brother)

Personally, I’m mostly just called “Larry,” but I do anxiously await the day when my name is simply reduced to “Ree.”

1 comment: