Sunday, June 30, 2013

Birthday blessings

A special birthday dessert...it's probably made of rice

It was early evening and I had just arrived back at my host family after a long day of traveling. I expected a quiet night, nothing special, but found myself attending what I thought was a rather peculiar birthday party. It was the birthday of my host mom’s daughter, so naturally we would have a small get together. The thing is…the birthday girl was not in attendance. Nor was it expected that she would be. She lives and works in Cambodia and had not been back to the Philippines for at least a year. We didn't skype her, or put her on the phone for everyone to greet, we merely had a birthday celebration in her honor.

Birthdays are an interesting occurrence here in the Philippines. The typical Pinoy birthday party is composed of pancit (stir fried noodles) or spaghetti (which according to tradition, brings long life), soft drinks, and birthday cake. A full meal, lechon, or other snacks can be added depending on the number of guests expected and how much money the celebrant has available at the time. The birthday celebrant is responsible for all costs associated with the party and gifts are not expected. Birthdays are seen as a time for Filipinos to share their blessings with family, friends, & neighbors. People try to save their money for a month or so in order to afford at least a small salo-salo, complete with special birthday treats.

I thought I knew how to sing “Happy Birthday,” but I realized there was a new and improved Pinoy edition (still English). Here’s how it goes:

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday! Happy birthday!
Happy birthday to you!

It completely eliminates that awkward moment when you don’t know the birthday celebrant’s name, or everyone says a different name/nickname (i.e. John, Johnny, Jonathon). It works quite well here, especially when I get invited to a random bday party, I can still sing along with no fears of messing up the song. And for multiple birthdays, you only have to sing once :)

In the case of my absentee host sister, I came to understand that this small birthday party was a way for her to share her blessings with family back home. Working abroad, she probably sent some money to cover the cost so that her mother could prepare food for everyone to enjoy. I spoke with my counterpart about this event, and she confirmed that it’s quite common. She also told me that some people have birthday parties for family members even after they die! Interesting, di ba (right)?

No comments:

Post a Comment